Saturday 27 October 2007

Grantham 1 Kendal 3

The local paper stating that Grantham did not want another draw following their exploits in the other cup competitions gives you some insight about the mental approach they took into this game.
Beforehand I went for my usual FA Trophy pint in the bar. I bumped into a friend of mine Tracy and her husband who had one excited little boy with them - he was to be the mascot for the day! He was wearing a brand new Grantham town tp and could not wait to get out on the pitch with the boys. Another friend, Michelle who happens to be the Chairman's daughter also arrived in a bit of a fluster. TNT had not delivered the programmes to her house! Disaster! how was I going to get my set for the whole trip to Wembley. She told me not to worry as she would get me one when they eventually do arrive. In its place I got a copy of the official team sheet, which is a nice souvenir.

On to the game - my biggest fear was a replay in Kendal and that never looked like happening. The Unibond Premier side thoroughly outplayed their lower division rivals strolling to a comfortable win in the end, even affording to miss a penalty on the way. Grantham even had a player sent off, such was their determination not to get a draw. Oh well, they can now concentrate on the League. As for Kendal, they do look a good outfit and I might be following them for a little while.

No comments: