Saturday 6 October 2007

Today's the day!

A lot has happened since my last post. I have seen Grantham play 6 times in following this year's FA Cup run, which will make it difficult to remain neutral for today's game - so I won't! Grantham currently lie 3rd in Unibond North Div 1 South which suggests a good start to the season. In truth, they have never been over-convincing when I have seen them. Most impressive has been Dave Gilbert, but at 44 he can't play that many games. I noticed that in the home game v Belper on Tuesday he was a sub only and I wonder if he has been rested for the FA Trophy match. The team has a pretty settled look about it and has grown in confidence over the last few weeks with a long undefeated run. The second game at Market Needham and the cup tie at Hinckley saw the best performances of the season so I would think they head into today's match as favourites. The mood among Grantham Town fans seems to be that they shouldn't be in their current league, but realising that they need to fight their way out of it. Support-wise they are among some of the best in terms of numbers in the league so it would be nice to get a crowd approching 300 today.

As for Alsager (pronounced All-sager according to my friend Tony, who is from Stoke) they currently lie mid-table and have only won 1 of their 4 away games in the league up til now. They drew at home on Wednesday in front of a crowd of 70! One interesting tit-bit from Alsager is that this week they recieved their first-ever transfer fee having sold their star player Pete Heler - a piece of history indeed. It will be interesting to see what affect this has on their team.

My prediction: Grantham 2 Alsager 1

No comments: