Sunday 23 December 2007

Colwyn Bay 1 Burton Albion 2

The weather leading up to the match had not been good but a rise in temperatures in the days leading up to the match gave me cause for optimism as I set out on the long journey again. I had a list of other fixtures in case of postponement so that my journey wouldn't be completely wasted.

I arrived at the ground at midday and apart from a small patch of frost in one corner the pitch looked in tip top condition. Having consulted with the man on one of the burger vans (yes, catering facilities had been doubled) I was happy that there would be a match to watch. I returned for a pint at 1.30 and having left the comfort of the bar went out to see the players warm up.

It was at this point I realised how difficult the conditions were. The players' boots could be clearly heard on the frozen surface and I doubt a league game would have got the go ahead. I'm not sure who the conditions favoured but both clubs seemed anxious to play, although I'm not sure about the players! A couple of the Colwyn Bay players I spoke to didn't seem that keen.

Burton got off to a good start and dictated play early on. A slick move down the left hand side resulted in a cross which was headed on to the post with Jake Edwards netting the rebound. After that it was Colwyn Bay who made the most of the conditions and they thoroughly deserved the equaliser just before half time with a goal from their centre forward.

The second half was dominated by CB and it seemed as if a giantkilling was on the cards until Edwards popped up for his and Burton's second. Albion held on for a less than convincing win, but as their website said it was a case of "job done!"

No comments: