Friday 29 February 2008

Ebbsleet United 1 Burton Albion 0

It took nearly 3 and a half hours but finally a goal was scored in this tie. 5 minutes from the end of extra time Stacy Long (ex-Charlton, of course) hit a speculative shot at goal which squimed under the body of Saul Deeney into the net. It meant there wouldn't be penalties (which I reckoned would have ended 0-0 anyway!) and aslo means I get to visit Northfleet again in a bit less of a hurry - leaving a conference at 4.00 to arrive by 7.30 and then getting into my hotel bed at about 2.30 did not do a lot for my levels of concentration on Wednesday!

I watched the game with my brother who lives nearby and we found it all quite entertaining. I think he was a bit surprised by the standard of the football (apart from the finishing that is!) Being a Charlton fan I'm not surprised he was impressed. The ground reminded me of a smaller version of The Valley as it was in the 1970s. It is pretty ramshackle but decked out in red and listening to those lovely north Kent accents made me quite nostalgic. It will be good to go there again in more leisurely circumstances.

It is a pity to leave Burton behind. having seen them 6 times they are obviously a club who can go places. I just wonder if they have reached their potential for the moment and need to do something to attract bigger crowds and then go full time. Keeping Nigel Clough around will be the key. I will predict that the right back, Brayford, will be playing league football within 2 years - all I need to remember now is to look back on here and check if I was right.

No comments: